Problem gambling warning signs
These warning signs may signal that you or someone you love has developed a problem with gambling. If any of these signs sound familiar, reach out for free, confidential support.
- Constantly thinking about gambling (reliving past gambling experiences, planning the next venture, thinking of ways to get gambling money, etc.)
- Being secretive about gambling habits and defensive when confronted
- Lying to family and others about the extent of gambling
- Increasing bet amounts to achieve the desired excitement (“high”)
- Trying unsuccessfully to control, cut back or stop gambling
- Feeling restless or irritable when not gambling
- Gambling to escape problems
- Chasing losses with more gambling
- Committing crimes to finance gambling
- Jeopardizing or losing relationships, jobs, education or career opportunities because of gambling
- Relying on others to relieve a desperate financial situation caused by gambling
Want to find help on your own?
1-800-BETS OFF from Your Life Iowa is always here to help you find resources near you. However, we understand that sometimes you’d like to look for help on your own. Our map will let you do just that.
Would you like a gambling treatment professional to contact you?
Fill out a simple contact form and a professional will reach out to you.
Are you family or friends with someone who needs help to control their gambling?
Find out how Your Life Iowa can provide support for them -- and you.