Serious issues deserve a serious conversation - talk to your teens
Drug and alcohol use. Gambling problems. Suicidal thoughts and other tough issues. Today’s teens face more challenges than ever before. As a parent, caregiver, friend or relative, it’s important to know the warning signs and talk to your kids early – and often.
After all, this is an important time in their lives, and the choices they make now can affect them for years to come. That’s why Your Life Iowa is here to help. We’re a free, confidential resource that you can turn to for information and answers to your questions. 24/7.
Know the Facts
- In 2016 alone, approximately two million youth ages 12 to 17 were users of illicit drugs. Almost 1 in 4 young adults ages 18 to 25 said they were current users (NSDUH).
- In 2018, 20% of Iowa 11th graders reported having at least one drink of alcohol in the past 30 days (Iowa HHS).
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death for youth between the ages of 10 and 24 (CDC).
- Approximately 4-5% of youth ages 12-17 meet one or more criteria of having a gambling problem (High School Gambling Fact Sheet).
- Substance use as an adolescent or young adult can have long-term effects on a youth’s developing brain (National Institute on Drug Abuse).
Learn the Warning Signs
Knowing what to look for is the first step to helping the kids in your life. Find warning signs here:
- Alcohol Use - Warning Signs
- Drug Use - Warning Signs
- Gambling - Warning Signs
- Suicidal Thoughts - Warning Signs
Turn to Us
Your Life Iowa was created to help Iowans navigate tough issues by providing reliable information, treatment resources and someone available to talk to 24/7. We’re your everyday life – and parenting – support.