In Iowa, suicide was the 10th leading cause of death in 2015 for all Iowans and the eighth for males. Also in 2015, suicide was the second leading cause of death for Iowans ages 15-44, and fifth leading cause of death for Iowans ages 5-14 and 45-54.
Here are some other facts about suicide:
- Suicide is preventable. Most individuals desperately want to live; they are just unable to see alternatives to their problems.
- Most suicidal individuals give warnings.
- Talking about suicide does not make someone suicidal.
- Approximately 32,000 Americans kill themselves every year - an average of one person every 16.6 minutes.
- Suicide is higher among the elderly (over 65) than any other age group.
- Four times as many men kill themselves as women, although three times as many women attempt suicide.
- Firearms are currently the most utilized method of suicide.
- Surviving family members and friends are at a higher risk for suicide and emotional problems.