Taking care of yourself is an important part of being emotionally and mentally healthy.
Here are some ideas you can try for self-care:
- Take a walk outside
- Drink a glass of water
- Make yourself a meal that you enjoy
- Re-read one of your all-time favorite books
- Give someone a compliment – and then compliment yourself too
- Play with a pet
- Listen to a favorite music play list
- Take a hot shower or bath
- It is okay to say no - give yourself permission to choose how you spend your time, resources or energy
- Think about 10 things you are thankful for
- A couple times a day spend a few minutes stretching and breathing deeply.
- Reach out to a trusted friend or family member
- Take a short break for coffee or tea
- Start on a project you have been wanting to begin for a while
- Watch your favorite movie
- Write yourself a letter about a few things that are bothering you - then throw it away
- Treat yourself to dinner
- Call us at Your Life Iowa
Original source: Self Care During the Holidays by the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Support and assistance is available through Live Chat, by calling (855) 581-8111, or by texting (855) 895-8398.