Did you know that 13 percent of Adult Iowans have experienced at least one problem related to their gambling?
Reasons People Gamble
- People don't always gamble just for the money. They also gamble because they:
- Believe winning big will solve their problems
- Seek escape from boredom, stress or grief
- Need time to just not think, not worry
- Are in troubled relationships and want to escape
- Are tired, depressed or emotionally drained
- Are lonely or grieving
Problem gamblers come from many backgrounds. They can be rich or poor, young or old, male or female. Problem gambling can affect people of every race, every religion, and every education and income level. It happens in small towns or big cities.
Take the quiz to check out if you are at risk for problem gambling.
Problem Gambling in Iowa Problem Gambling in Iowa Iowa Department of Public Health
Iowa Department of Public Health2016-12-16 2020-03-03