What does Health and Wellness mean?
Health and Wellness are core necessities, whether a person is in active addiction, in early sobriety or long-term recovery. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) defines wellness not as the absence of disease, illness or stress, but the presence of purpose in life, active involvement in satisfying work and play, joyful relationships, a healthy body and living environment, and happiness. In short, health and wellness is taking care of yourself in any healthy way to help improve a component of your life.
Repeated patterns of drug and alcohol abuse can lead to chronic health (physical and/or emotional) conditions that impact both the length of a person’s life, and the overall quality of life that can be experienced and achieved.
Recovery from alcohol or drug abuse can be hard, but you can help yourself by improving your physical and mental health, or support a loved one in doing so. This may mean starting to exercise more, relaxing by listening to music, or it may mean seeking help from a professional, like a mental health therapist. If you need ideas to improve your health and wellness, talk with your healthcare provider, ask for advice from healthy and sober supports or search the internet for ideas. Always pay attention to your personal needs and remember, there is hope wherever your are. Stories of recovery happen every day. Here is some information about recovery:
- Bureau of Substance Abuse The Iowa Department of Public Health Bureau of Substance Abuse provides oversight for all aspects related to substance abuse prevention and treatment services in Iowa, in addition to injury prevention programs. The bureau actively works to address prevention and treatment needs by providing focus for training efforts, identifying and securing available grant funding, monitoring grant compliance, and regulating licensure for treatment programs. Specifically, the bureau is responsible for several programs or services; for more information, please click on the hyperlink.
- Wellness Initiative from SAMHSA which reviews different types of wellness
- Alcoholics Anonymous in Iowa- local resource for Alcoholics Anonymous meetings
- Narcotics Anonymous in Iowa- local resources for Narcotics Anonymous meetings
- In the Rooms Online recovery meetings
Other resource pages on Your Life Iowa concerning Health and Wellness: