Reasons People Gamble
People don't always gamble just for the money. They also gamble because they:
- Believe winning big will solve their problems
- Seek escape from boredom, stress or grief
- Need time to just not think, not worry
- Are in troubled relationships and want to escape
- Are tired, depressed or emotionally drained
- Are lonely or grieving
Problem gamblers come from many backgrounds. They can be rich or poor, young or old, male or female. Problem gambling can affect people of every race, every religion, and every education and income level. It happens in small towns or big cities.
If you have questions you’d like answered, click on Live Chat, call 1-800-BETS OFF1-800-BETS OFF, text (855) 895-8398(855) 895-8398, or click here to send us your question.
Phases of Gambling
There are three distinct stages people with gambling problems go through before they "hit bottom" and realize they need help.